Stellar Farmers Markets, a program of the Bureau of Chronic Disease Prevention and Tobacco Control’s Physical Activity and Nutrition Program, is funded by the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program – Education (SNAP-Ed) to hold nutrition education workshops and cooking demonstrations at eighteen farmers markets across NYC. The goal of the program is to improve dietary choices made by low-income New Yorkers, providing information and education on how to plan, buy and prepare healthy meals that include locally grown, seasonal fruits and vegetables.
During the 2012 farmers’ market season, an evaluation will be conducted of the Stellar Farmers Market program to determine program impact on attitudes, self-efficacy and behaviors of program participants. This evaluation will also identify the factors that make the program successful and how we can better meet the needs of program participants.
Under the guidance of the Department of Health evaluation team, the Stellar Farmers Markets Evaluation Intern will perform the following duties:
Develop evaluation tools and protocols
- Conduct a literature review and develop evaluation tools, including a participant survey and farmer inventory tool.
- Develop evaluation protocol and assist with hiring and training data collectors.
Oversee and assist with implementation of participant survey and farmer inventory tool
- Schedule and supervise data collectors to implement participant survey and farmer inventory tool at 18 farmers markets
- Conduct data entry, cleaning, and analysis
- Assist with synthesizing findings into written report
- Experience developing evaluation tools;
- Experience coordinating and implementing evaluation protocols;
- Experience working in low-income communities;
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills;
- Knowledge of nutrition and public health;
- Knowledge of SPSS and data analysis.
As soon as possible through October 2012 (preferred).
Full-time hours required in August; hours are flexible other months.
Send resume and cover letter to Alyson Abrami at firstname.lastname@example.org. A stipend will be provided for this internship.