About Just Food:
Just Food is a non-profit organization that connects communities and local farms with the resources and support they need to make fresh, locally grown food accessible to all New Yorkers. Just Food provides regional farmers and food producers, CSA organizers and everyday eaters with the resources and support they need to establish and experience healthy food systems—in every neighborhood.
Since 1995, Just Food has pioneered and championed the proliferation of sustainable food programs, including CSAs, community-run farmers’ markets, and farm-to-food pantry programs. Just Food serves thousands of New Yorkers by forging partnerships between local farms, neighborhood groups, and consumers, and by providing urban communities with a framework for growing, and knowing, healthy food. For more information about Just Food and its programs, visit www.justfood.org.
Just Food’s CSA in NYC Program connects vegetable farmers with NYC groups to establish CSA distributions throughout the city. To create strong connections between farmers and members it is important for members to know their farmer even though it may be hard for members to go to the farm. One way to make this connection is through farm websites which are engaging and informative. However website development is often difficult for farmers. This position will work with our Farm Network Coordinator to provide farmers within our networks, the hands-on technical support they’ll need to develop and operate their own website or to update an already existing website for their farm.
The intern would be responsible for working with the Farm Network Coordinator to:
- Learn to use the identified website development tool
- Research other farm websites to get ideas for what works well
- Work with 3-6 farmers to develop new websites or to improve their existing sites
- Work one-on-one with farmers to collect stories, pictures, logistics, etc. for their websites
- Teach farmers how to manage their own website so that they can make changes in the future
- Spanish speaking required
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of farming and agriculture
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with farmers and program staff
- Experience in creating and managing websites a plus
- Ability to commit a minimum of 8-10 hours a week for a minimum of three months to the project.
- Regular meetings with Farm Network Coordinator to help guide the project.
- Some work will be from the Just Food office. Travel to farms may be required.
Small stipend for travel with this position will be provided.
To submit cover letter and resume, please contact Jessica Cortes, Farm Network Coordinator at jessicac [at] justfood.org