UNITE HERE, the largest union in North America representing food service workers, is seeking a coordinator to work on its Real Food Real Jobs campaign. The Real Food Real Jobs campaign seeks to reform the our broken food system by improving the working conditions of food service workers, and promoting the switch to ethical, local, humane, and environmentally sustainable food. The primary focus of the campaign is higher education, public school cafeterias, and airports. More information on the campaign is available at www.RealFoodRealJobs.org.
– Build and maintain coalitions with food and environmental organizations, worker organizations, academics, and student organizations.
– Lead and participate in strategic organizing and contract campaigns that link sustainable food and worker justice issues.
– Work with team to develop overall communication materials and strategy, including social media content. Represent UNITE HERE at food conferences and events, and develop workshop proposals.
– Lead and conduct original research on food justice issues using a wide variety of sources and methods.
– Assist in developing the union’s legislative and regulatory agenda as it relates to sustainable food and agriculture.
– Research and monitor trends in the food service industry around the issue of sustainability, with an emphasis on the impact on workers.
– Help educate and train union staff, workers, and students on food policy issues.
– Work with UNITE HERE’s regional staff and elected leaders, and direct the work of other staff on a project.
Job Requirements/Qualifications (include but are not limited to):
– At least three years of experience researching, organizing, or campaigning with a worker, food, or environmental organization. Knowledge of food justice and agriculture issues strongly desired. BA or equivalent.
– Demonstrated experience building coalitions with diverse organizations and allies.
– Ability to work under pressure and excellent research, writing and speaking skills.
– Experience developing and implementing communication strategies, including the use of social media.
– Ability to organize major research projects, and coordinate work with others.
– Ability to work effectively with field organizers and regional and national leaders required.
– Strong commitment to worker and economic justice.
– Willingness to travel, work long and sometimes irregular hours, and relocate as necessary.
To apply: Please send a resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org