2012/2013 Market Season
FRESHFARM Markets is seeking Market Masters for the Foggy Bottom FRESHFARM Market (Wednesdays, April – November), by the White House FRESHFARM Market (Thursdays, May – October) and/or the Bethesda FRESHFARM Market (Saturdays, May – October).
The Market Master is the face of FRESHFARM Markets at each market and is expected to provide the highest level of enthusiastic customer service to shoppers, farmers and volunteers. The Market Master is in charge at the market on site and reports directly to a FRESHFARM Markets Market & Program Manager. Market Masters may also be asked to work on outreach activities or be a substitute at another market—all of which would be paid by FRESHFARM Markets. Training is provided for the markets and use of the online reporting systems.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Weekly on-site management of a FRESHFARM Market from setup to breakdown during a specific market season (approximately 6-8 hours per market day plus approximately 30 minutes submitting Market Report details online after market closes).
- Serve as the main authority at market and the liaison between farmers/producers and FRESHFARM Market management as needed.
- Oversee street closing or closing of private space for market setup and setting up and storing market equipment, and oversee Market Information Table and Chef Demo table. Interact with market farmers/producers, chefs, customers and volunteers.
- Track market activities on Market Activity Report, including half-hourly customer counts. Use online system to record all market data and to report hours worked for each market day.
- Attend training sessions and any scheduled market meetings as requested by management of FRESHFARM Markets.
- Ability to work physically, outdoors. Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds.
- Capable of making sound judgment calls, and working without direct supervision.
- Ideal candidate possess a good attitude and would excel as a representative of FRESHFARM Markets.
- Ability to handle uncertain situations; candidate can “go with the flow.”
- Candidates who have a smart phone and are willing to use it for social media promotions during market hours will be preferred. In this case, a small stipend to compensate for use of employee’s phone will be provided.
Starting salary of $15/hour, paid monthly.
Please send resume and brief cover letter (no more than 250 words) to Laura Genello (email@example.com). No phone calls, please. Please indicate in your cover letter which markets you are applying for (by the White House, Bethesda or Foggy Bottom). Deadline: March 15, 2012.
About the Organization:
FRESHFARM Markets, a 501c3 nonprofit organization, was created in 1997 with the Dupont Circle FRESHFARM Market. Inspired by a vision of a more sustainable regional food system, the producer-only farmers markets were created to connect urban residents with small family farmers and healthy local food, to educate the public about food and farming issues and to provide tangible economic opportunities for farmers and producers in the Chesapeake Bay watershed region. In 2012, FRESHFARM Markets will operate 10 producer-only farmers markets in Washington, DC; Maryland and Virginia, with farmers from Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia. More information is available at www.freshfarmmarkets.org.