Grow Appalachia Coordinator
High Rocks seeks a highly-motivated self-starter with agricultural experience and project management background to coordinate the Grow Appalachia program. The Grow Appalachia coordinator will work with 13 local families and organizations to grow as much food as possible. The coordinator will also work closely with High Rocks and the Greenbrier Valley Local Foods Initiative to create a strong network of local foods in the area. This position has variable hours throughout the year depending on the demands of the season.
· Recruit and manage volunteers
· Supervise AmeriCorps members
· Maintain and cultivate relationships with new growers and potential growers
· Manage grant/project budget
· Evaluate and report on volunteers, grower participation and food volumes produced
· Organize educational workshops
· College graduate or equivalent
· Supervisory experience
· Relevant agricultural experience
· Canning and food preservation experience
· Community organizing and facilitating capabilities
· Ability to use farm machinery (especially a hand-operated tiller)
· Ability to drive a manual transmission truck
What is Grow Appalachia?
The basic purpose of Grow Appalachia is to teach and support the people of Appalachia to grow, preserve and sell their own food and feed themselves and their families. The Grow Appalachia Coordinator will work with first time gardeners, experienced gardeners, and support people to develop market gardens. Visit the Grow Appalachia website for more information.
Send your resume and cover letter to
Attn: Amy Cole
HC 64 Box 438
Hillsboro, WV 24946
OR: Fax:(304) 653-4860
OR: email: email@example.com
** Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until position is filled **